Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Starting to Start

I have been really interested in writing lately, almost 6 months now. I started a journal back in April, however, I can't say I am super good and writing all the time. I do like the idea of throwing my ideas out there into the void and seeing what happens. It intrigues me to see how honest I can be knowing that people can come online and read through my thoughts if they really want to...or that no one will read them because perhaps once they are outside my head they really aren't that interesting!

Writing in my journal reminds me a lot of high school when I faithfully kept a "diary" for a few years. It was full of teenage angst and dating and boys and all the other silly things teenage girls think of on a daily basis. Whenever I sit down to write I feel like I am back in that place writing down silly ideas and wondering "if he likes me"? Which I am obviously not since I am married and pretty secure in the knowledge that my husband does indeed like me! I guess I feel that maybe a blog is a new, more grown-up version of keeping a journal. I am going to work at both though, there are some things I really feel should not be posted online....

At this point I can't really say that my blog will have any sort of theme other than my own thoughts and ideas on things. I can say it'll give me something to do during the day while I am off work over the next 2 months (yes I am a teacher, and yes I am sorry that you do not get two months holidays every summer too) because believe me, 2 months is a pretty long time to fill if you aren't traveling! And no!! I am not complaining about having 2 months off, I am just saying that I am the type of person who doesn't sit still well for long periods of time.

2 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Brian DeWagner said...

Nice...now you can no longer hide behind your glasses and awesomeness...I think the biggest part is the "see what happens" part...You'll be pleasantly surprised.

I wanted to chuck you this cool info about a production I once saw in LA called "Dear Diary" in which real people were on stage reading from tehir REAL diaries from elementary and high school. It was hilarious and powerful and super, super enlightening...but I can't find a damn thing about it. I'll keep lookin'...

Thinking of thinking...ha, are you a teacher or somethin'? :)

Sklyons said...

Brian- it's that "metacognition" piece teachers are always going on and on about! Everyone groans at a workshop of PD when we have to reflect, but i think it's important to do it every once and awhile!

I would love to hear more about that "Dear Diary" production!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe