Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Living Me to We


I am going to piggy back off a friend's blog today and talk about living in a socially responsible way. My friend blogged about TOMS Shoes today on his blog and I am so happy he did. For just over a year I have been working towards teaching social responsibility to my students in as many ways as possible. And this fits perfectly!

TOMS Shoes is a socially responsible company that has dedicated itself to ensuring children around the world have proper footwear. For every pair of shoes that is purchased from their company, they donate a pair of shoes to a child around the world who needs shoes. What an amazing idea that completely embodies the idea of living "me to we"! I can't wait to get back to school an tell my students all about it.

In fact, it has given me a great idea to do this year with my students on the Me to We team. I want to sit down with them and brainstorm or research all the ideas we can think of that students can live "me to we" on a daily basis. Then we can share with the school and get the movement moving!!

For those of you that are wondering what Me to We is...well it is essentially a social responsibility movement started by Marc and Craig Keilburger who founded Free the Children. It started as a one day/year event just 2 short years ago at Ricoh Coliseum where over 8000 school children where brought together to celebrate the power youth as to change the world. This was called National Me to We Day. National Me to We Day is now in it's 3rd year (2009) and is getting bigger every year. The event has moved from the Ricoh Coliseum to the ACC, where 15 000 students will come together, and there are 2 more events being held in Hamilton and Vancouver!

I had the great opportunity to attend last year with 4 grade 7 & 8 students from my school, and then we brought the movement back to our middle school. This year, I will be going again and taking 13 students with me! The movement is growing. We dedicated ourselves to raising money to build a school in Kenya, which costs $8500.00. We have so far raised just over $4000.00 and hope to reach our goal next year.

Meanwhile, each of us can live more socially responsible each and every day. It can be as simple as a reusable grocery bag, a shirt made from organic cotton, or a pair of TOMS shoes- so both you and a child have something on your feet!

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe