Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Nothing to do....

I am not good at having free, unplanned time. Not good at all. This makes my job as a teacher somewhat difficult when summer hits. Everyone thinks, "Oh!! Two months!! That would be awesome." Well yes, not having to get up everyday (except for the month of July when I have summer school) is AWESOME! But...it does make for some long days with little to do. Remember that everyone else is at work, and you don't have unlimited funds at your disposal.

I really don't want people to think I am complaining about having 2 months off work, because I know how lucky I am. I am merely saying that I am really bad at not working. I think I get it from my father. There are just so many days of watching TV, movies, browsing the Internet, and even..gasp!..reading that I can handle. Plus it gets to the point where I haven't done anything in a while so I don't want to do anything...a vicious cycle if you ask me.

This is why I enjoying teaching summer school. Not only do I get a little extra pay but I have something to do for half of my days in July. I think if I was able I would take some extra classes in the summers as well. Not just AQ's for teaching, but the stuff that I was interested in and never really had the chance to take or couldn't fit into my schedule when I was doing my undergrad. Art history! Sociology! Anthropology! Imagine taking the stuff you want and not really worrying about the marks. (Although, for anyone out there that knows me I, of course, would be worrying about the marks. How did I ever become such a nerd? It boggles the mind, really.)

I love the summer break and I always feel as though it's necessary to take some time to relax and unwind after a long year with my students. Being locked in a room for 6 hours everyday with 30 or so teenagers would drive anyone to the brink. However, there are those fleeting moments when I really wish I had something to do.

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe