Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Home, Dogs and other Minor Ramblings

I am home sick today with a migraine. I probably should have been home yesterday as well seeing as the migraine came in early yesterday morning with our first major snowfall and a dramatic change in air pressure. Instead I went to school, was in a major bad mood all day and snapped at kids for small things I might not have otherwise snapped at them for. So today I am keeping everyone safe and staying in bed, where I belong.

A lot has been going on lately...school is starting to wind down as we head into the holidays (or actually wind up as the kids get more and more excited! Plus, snow has now been added to the mix so that's just GREAT fun *note the sarcasm here). I have been working with my students on a Literature Circles unit in our English class. I wrote about it here the other day actually. I have been so impressed with my students and the dedication many of them have shown throughout this unit. They are reading tonnes! And they are really talking about their books. I mean really talking, not just going through the motions. I think I may implement a talking circle once a week or once a month from now on! It would be interesting to have the kids sharing their independent reading books as we move through the year.

On a sadder note, my family dog Sebastian is not doing so well. We were all home for the weekend just this weekend past for a curling bonspiel in memory of an aunt who passed away. Now that my sister and I both have dogs, and I brought friends home to curl with me, the house was going to be too full. So my parents enlisted the help of their friends to care for Sebastian over the weekend. When my dad brought Sebastian home on Sunday he had a seizure and needed to be rushed to the emergency vet clinic.


Look at that face!!

My mom was unable to call and tell me (I had already left to return home) so my sister called. She was very upset, crying and the whole bit, which made me very upset. But Sebastian is 13 years old, that's pretty old for a big dog! I think we need to maybe prepare ourselves for what is coming....

My mom did call me on Tuesday to tell me he is doing much better. The vet thinks it was a seizure, perhaps caused by a tumour but seeing as Sebastian is 13 years-old my parents do not want to put him through the pain and shock of an MRI to diagnose the problem. I have spent a lot of time this week cuddling my own dog, Kahne.




How funny is his "I just woke up face"?!

My family has always had a dog around. My parents owned a boxer when I was born, and then we had a golden retriever when I was a kid, but it wasn't until we got Sebastian the summer before I left for university that I really LOVED a dog. Sebastian and I were connected, and still are. I love that dog and he loves me. We cuddle on the couch when I am home, he sits with me and sometimes still tries to sleep in the bed at night. Which worked better when I was single but now that I have a 200 lb husband in the bed there isn't much room for a 75 lb dog as well!

It will be sad when Sebastian goes. My mom has said this it, there will be no more dogs for her, it's too hard getting over it when they go. She is home alone all day and Sebastian has been her constant companion for many years so I can see where she is coming from, but I think she will be lonely without a dog around. I just hope he makes it to Christmas so I can see him one more time.

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe