Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Friday, January 22, 2010

Hope for Haiti

My students and I will be reading the non-fiction book Me to We starting next week and I try to constantly infuse my classroom with lesson about social activism and civic responsibility. Tonight I will be watching Canada for Haiti and Hope for Haiti. I put my money where my mouth is and donated to Free the Children's Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund here, and you can too.





I am very excited to be starting this unit as it has been a dream of mine for a few years now to have the resources (i.e. books) to do it and I was happy today when I carried in the box of the books that quite a few students saw them and went, "ohh, ahh...do we get to read these?" That's a BIG difference from the usual "Do we HAVE to read this?"


There hasn't been too much talk at school about the earthquake and I am sad about that. A few kids have mentioned it and I have brought it up a few times to try and gauge how students are reacting but it hasn't been much. I hope that with starting our unit next week that can really change!

You can also go to Free the Children's website and read Craig Keilburger's reports from Haiti as he travelled down there to help. Go here to learn more about this important issue.


Photo Credit: All photos are from Free the Children.com


Please give what you can, speak about this issue and don't forget!

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe