Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking Ahead to 2010

Well, where do we go from here?

To recap a little bit more, I set a goal to read 81 books in 2009 as part of the 999 Reading Challenge. I read a total of 75 books and am quite proud of myself. The original goal was to read 9 books from 9 categories for a total of 81 books. I didn't quite finish every category and ended up reading 11 "miscellaneous" because I felt very pidgen-holed by the challenge at the end of year and just wanted to read what I wanted to read. I think the challenges I have chosen for 2010 will help in this area. I love the idea of tracking my reading will continue to do so...and in typical me fashion I have already created a spreadsheet for this very purpose! I also feel that too many of these books are YA (although not all are listed in that category) and I am going to try and reclaim a lot of my reading for me and have less based around my students (one of my resolutions this year is balance, something I am NOT good at!)

Here is my total reading list from 2009- (Note: the books are not listed in order but by the genre/categories I chose for the challenge. This year I will be tracking my reading in order.)



999 Challenge ~ 2009
Books read from January 1st to Dec 31st
Mystery 
The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry (finished Apr 3rd) 
Flush by Carl Haissen (YA) (finished April 30th) 
Careless in Red by Elizabeth George (finished July 1st) 
Cross Blood (audiobook) by Kathy Reichs (finished Nov 26th) 
The Hydrofoil Mystery by Eric Walters (finished Dec 2nd) 
The Secret of Laurel Oaks by Lois Ruby (finished Dec 12th)
Historical Fiction 
The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (finished Mar 7th) 
The Ha-Ha by Dave King (audiobook finished Jan 26th) 
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (finished Feb 25th) 
Fallen Skies  by Philippa Gregory(finished May 24th) 
Vlad- The Last Confession by C.C. Humphreys (finished August 3rd) 
Absolute Honour by C.C. Humphreys (finished Aug 10th) 
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (finished Aug 24th) 
What World is Left by Monique Polak (finished Aug 31st) 
An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon (finished Oct 18)

Review Committee/ Books for School 
What-the-Dickens by Gregory McGuire (finished Jan 19th) 
Crash (finished Feb 6th) 
Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell (finished Mar 22nd) 
Primavera by Mary Ann Beauford (finished April 12th) 
War Brothers by Sharon E. McKay (finished April 21st) 
The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo (finished May 24th) 
The General by Robert Muchamore (finished May 30th) 
My Sister Jodie by Jaqueline Wilson (finished Aug 17th) 
Afrika by Colleen Craig (finished Aug 25th)
Teen Fiction (YA Lit) 
InkDeath by Cornealia Funke (finished July 21st) 
This Can’t Be Happening by Gordon Korman (finished Nov 21st) 
Alexandria of Africa by Eric Walters (finished January 31st- good for a novel study)
4. Peak by Roland Smith (finished Dec 1st) 
L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad (finished Aug 8th) 
Secret Vampire by L.J. Smith (finished Aug 12th) 
City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (finished Aug 15th) 
Speak by Laurie Anderson (finished Oct 30th) 
The True Story of Smekday by Adam Rex (finished in August)
Sci-Fi/ Fantasy
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (finished Jan 31st- a new favourite) 
House of Night: Marked by PC and Kristin Cast (finished Feb 11th) 
House of Night: Betrayed by PC and Kristin Cast (finished Feb 14th) 
House of Night: Chosen by PC and Kristin Cast (finished Feb 17th) 
House of Night: Untamed by PC and Kristin Cast (finished Feb 20th) 
The Softwire: Betrayal on Orbis 1 by PJ Haarsma (finished March 31st)
The House of Night: Hunted by PC and Kristin (finished Mar 16th) 
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (finished Aug 11th) 
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (finished Aug 14th)
Bestsellers 
The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb (finished Aug 31st) 
Freakonomics (finished April 5th) 
The Shack by Wm. Paul Young (finished June 19th) 
The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffennegar (finished Aug 7th) 
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (finished Sept 6th) 
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (finished Oct 25th) 
Realistic Fiction 
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (finished January 8th) 
The Island: Shipwreck by Gordon Korman (finished June 19th) 
Cassandra French's Finishing School for Boys: A Novel by Eric Garcia (finished July 26th) 
Vision in White by Nora Roberts (finished Nov 15th) 
Wounded by Eric Walters (finished Dec 6th) 
Rules of the Game by Nora Roberts (finished Dec 13th)
Word Nerd by Susin Nielsen (finished Dec 19th)
The Heart’s Victory by Nora Roberts (finished Dec 19th)
After by Hazel Hutchins (finished Dec 20th)
Re-reads (books I want to read again) 
Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (finished Nov 29th) 
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (finished Sept 4th) 
Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery(finished Sept 6th) 
InkHeart by Cornelia Funke (finished April 11th) 
InkSpell by Cornelia Funke (finished May 12th) 
The Murder at Hazelmoor by Agatha Christie (finished Jan 25th) 
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (finished Dec 7th) 
Miscellaneous 
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey (finished June 26th)
Naughts and Crosses by Mallory Blackman (finished Feb 8th) 
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (finished June 2nd) 
Pretties by Scott Westerfeld (finished June 6th) 
Specials by Scott Westerfeld (finished June 9th)
Teaching Hope by Erin Gruwell (finished Aug 22nd) 
Lunch with Lenin by Deborah Ellis (finished Dec 20th)
Leaving Fletchville by Rene Schmidt (finished Dec 21st)
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (finished Dec 28th)
We All Fall Down by Eric Walters (finished Dec 28th)
United We Stand by Eric Walters (finished Dec 29th)

2 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Literary Feline said...

The 999 Challenge was a tough one. You did an amazing job. Finding balance is something I struggle with to, although mine tends to be between reading and blogging all the other stuff that comes with life. I think it's something I'll be struggling with for a long while yet. LOL I hope you have a terrific New Year.

English Teacher said...

Thanks, Literary Feline. I was a little disappointed at first that I didn't reach my goal but there were personal things that got in the way of a lot of my reading this year and focusing on that area was more of a priority. Hopefully I can beat my total in 2010!

Did you do the 999 Challenge?

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe