Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Loooooong Day

I am so sorry that I have no amazing ideas or thoughts to post today. It has been a long day. I had a full day of teaching which included a Code Blue incident (a grade 7 boy broke his arm at lunch recess), this cause recess to end early with all the student ushered into their rainy day locations. Lunch was then extended into period 5 for 25 minutes while we waited for the ambulance...yes, I said waited for the ambulance. Almost 45 minutes in total. Crazy.

My after school remedial literacy class started today with a grade total of 6 out of 15 kids showing up. Great. That ran from 2:45 until 4:00, however, I had to duck out early at 3:30 to make it to my Mentorship Network meeting that ran from 4:00 to 7:00.

Long day.

I must say though that reconnecting with my mentorship community was super invigorating and I am looking forward to re-reading my Mentoring Matters book by Bruce Wellman in anticipation of our spring conference. I am also hoping to get a copy of Fierce Conversations by Susan Scott. I immediately thought of my sister (and called her on my way home from my meeting to tell her) and the idea that we should read this book together and have a mini-book club to discuss it. She would LOVE it.

It is now 9:42, I have only been home for 3 hours of this entire day.

I. Am. Going. To. Bed.




P.S. What are your thoughts about "doggy day care"? I am thinking about putting my dog into it every other week for some socialization and exercise. Any good, or bad, experiences?

3 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

serena said...

hey -- how's the book? what is the mentoring program? sounds like something I'd be into!

as for doggy day-care, no idea, but probably a lot more fun that waiting for mommy and daddy all day!

English Teacher said...

Serena: Peel has a program called Side by Side where experienced teachers mentor new teachers. I went to a training session last spring with Bruce Wellman the author of the book and it was very motivational.

Molly said...

Oh - I am so sorry to hear about your day. I can totally relate though - I just woke up from a 2 hour nap due to an exhausting 2 days (which resulted in only about 3 hours sleep last night). Some days I truly wonder why I do this --- minimum wage retail work is sounding very appealing!

I do not have personal experience with doggie day care, but my aunt absolutely swears by it!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe