Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ready, Set, Energized!

Today was everything that is good about teaching, except that there were no the students (contrary to my bad mood/day yesterday I love teaching and genuinely enjoy spending time with the vast majority of my students). I spent the day with my Grade 8 literacy team and the Grade 7 team at a workshop facilitated by our resource teacher. I was contacted before the holidays about helping plan and lead the day's agenda, which was a great privilege, as I am hoping to go into resource one day myself.


This is the picture book we used for the drama structure. You can get it here.


We decided we wanted to focus our morning on a drama structure relating to the upcoming Black History Month so that the teachers had something useful to take away with them that they could readily implement in their classrooms. We then used the afternoon to talk about various literacy strategies that can be used both in English and the content areas, as well as setting some time aside to mix and mingle and share some of the good things happening in our classrooms. I collected all the ideas brought to the discussion and photocopied a package for everyone that I like to call a "Package of Awesomeness"!

I was engaged the whole day, even when I knew what was coming next and felt like I learned a lot as well. My colleagues seemed really into it and a group of us discussed the possibility of creating a PLC (isn't education great at reducing everything to an acronym? my mom always tells me to stop talking in letters!! lol)- a professional learning community. A place where we can get together and talk about stuff, plan some things together, or even read a professional book and discuss it. All fabulous options.

I walked away re-energized, ready to go back to my classroom tomorrow and excited to try some of the new stuff I learned from my colleagues. It was just what I needed! 







I am looking forward to using some of the great drama strategies I haven't used before and reading more picture books. I love them, the kids love them and everyone pays attention on the days you use a picture book. Funny isn't it? They are 13 or 14 years-old and they will sit quietly and listen to their teacher read a picture book. Fabulous.


This is what I love about my job.

1 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Brian DeWagner said...

I LOVE Kadir Nelson...love him...in a completely asexual way, of course.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe