Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Saturday, January 30, 2010

...sorry, it's been busy! And other random thoughts.

Hello all! First off, thank you to SB for commenting on the fact that she missed my posts the last few days. It means a lot. I have been busy and haven't really had anything super concrete and exciting on my mind to post about.

I still don't have anything huge to share so instead I thought a list of the random things I have been mulling over would be a good substitute.

1) On Thursday nights I curl in a teacher's curling league here in my town. There are quite a few of my teaching friends in the league and we always stick around for a drink after. I used to be a very competitive curler when I was younger, both in high school and on the varsity team in university. I practiced a lot, many, many hours thanks to my mom and I used to be able to make any shot I wanted. But then I didn't curl for about 6 years and got back into it last year. Now, I only curl 6 ends a week which is only 12 rocks and I sometimes find it frustrating because I can't make all the shots I want. Part of me wishes I still curled more and had my former skill, but a bigger part of me isn't as into it as I used to be.

2) My sister and I went wedding dress shopping today for her wedding which is in April of 2011. I was pretty unimpressed with the selection of plus size dresses they had available for her to try on. One store only had 6 dresses in total! They had racks and racks and racks of regular sized dresses and only 6 for plus size women. I find it very disrespectful and humiliating. Not to mention the fact that the dresses were ugly! Someone needs to open a bridal boutique specifically for plus size women, they would make a fortune.

3) How does laundry pile up so fast?

4) My whole class wore pink yesterday for breast cancer awareness has part of our 10 by 10 promises for Me to We. I was so proud and they were so cute.

5) I love shopping for books. Even if I don't buy that many, just being in a bookstore is great!

That's all for now. Tonight's plans are up the air. I am determined to finish reading Emma before February...and there's still all that laundry!

6 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

Hi coming over from the Saturday Network. Loved this post for many reasons. I'm a teacher too, so can relate to some of what you said. Also I'm a breast cancer survivor, so I loved the PINK! :) And I too love shopping for books. Just entering a bookstore makes me happy!

Kristi said...

I am so with you on the laundry! I think that it would consume my entire weekend, if I let it.

Shopping for books is my very favorite pasttime :-)

SB said...

oh laundry...the never ending story. ha ha.

glad to have you back! great thoughts to consider. when i met you was I think the last year that you curled. i consider it a part of who you are.

and i am super proud of all your dedication to the 'we' causes of the world. you are much better than i at bringing the outside issues inside the classroom: the we to me as it were. bravo. you inspire me to do better in april -- AND NO EARLIER!
tee hee!

miss you !
SB

Beth said...

I miss you too SB

Diane said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I had no clue what curling was so I "googled it". In case anyone is as dense as me:

What is curling? It is often compared to lawn bowling on ice. The unique feature of the game is the use of brooms to sweep the ice.

LOL...Hope you had fun!! Have a great week!

Beth said...

Diane, that's funny! It's an olympic sport so you can watch it in a few weeks. It's a little more complicated than just "lawn bowling" on ice. The ice is made with a "pebbled" finish so the rocks actually curl when you release them. So the person throwing has to come throw down the ice at the correct distance so the rock with "curl" to where it's supposed to end up. The sweeping cause the rocks to go father and straighter on the ice.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe