Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Sunday Salon-Focus, Focus, Focus




I have had a fantastically lazy, yet productive day. I slept in thanks to my husband who walked the dog this morning.

For Diane!

When I woke up I perused (don't you love that word?) some on my favourite blogs, had a huge bowl of homemade oatmeal with brown sugar, raspberries and flaxseed. I am not normally a very big breakfast eater but I have really been trying to improve in this area and my new plan is to eat oatmeal every morning which is supposed to be super good for you. Plus if I add is some fruit and flaxseed it's all the better! After eating I worked on my next Writer's Workshop unit which is going to be poetry. Last year, I taught poetry as a reading unit but since I have so many of the same students I felt it was important to change things up. My plan is to teach the non-fiction book Me to We: Finding Meaning in a Material World (which I have mentioned here) as our reading unit and then have the students create a poetry anthology called "Poetry with a Purpose". They will each pick an issue related to social responsibility or society that interests them and then write a variety of poems on that topic.

I then spent some time reading more of Emma, made lunch and marked the Ideagrams my students handed in two weeks ago (I know, bad teacher...prompt feedback is necessary..blah, blah, blah). I was very disappointed by the ideagrams, so few met with the expectations of the assignment. So after marking them I created a list of things I would change about the literature circles unit that led up to the ideagrams as the culminating task for next year in hopes of getting better results the second time. Plus I made a pile of the student examples I would like to keep so I have them to show next year's kids. Not having examples is one of the drawbacks of teaching a new grade, as the students have no visual to help them when planning their own assignments.

For the rest of the afternoon I played with Kahne, had a wonderful nap (gotta love those) and woke up to read some more Emma. I have resolved this week that I am not going to start another book until I have finished reading Emma. Now, I am currently reading Me to We but that is for school and will be in small increments. I want to devote myself to Emma, to enjoying it and completing it before I turn to a new book.

That being said I have all sorts of bookish plans for the future. My sister is coming over next Friday and we are going to take a trip to Chapters, as we usually do when we are together. I plan to buy The Children's Book by A. S. Byatt that I have been hearing so many good things about on everyone's blogs, a new day to day calendar. My mother gave me one for Christmas, like she does every year, but I do not like this one and every morning when I rip off a page I am unhappy. The last two years she has given me one about teaching and teachers and I have enjoyed all the quotes. This year, however, she gave me a page-a-day recipe calendar and I have yet to see a recipe I want to make. My sister got the same one and feels the same so we are off the Chapters on Friday. I also have a huge TBR pile which includes:

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens (set in a fictional county based on my hometown)
The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill
Extras by Scott Westerfeld
Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Now I just need to find some time to read!!

2 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

hcmurdoch said...

Sounds like a great day!

I removed your name and link from my school blog; good idea!

Diane said...

Beth....thank you thank you; he is so very cute!!!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe