Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Saturday, January 23, 2010

There is something about a Saturday morning...

...that makes everything from the week melt away. Saturdays involve sleep-ins, whether big or small, and there is no mad dash to the shower, to eat, to drive and to start the day. Everything moves a little slower on Saturdays. It's like the whole world slows down, takes and breath and sighs. We made it.

I am usually the one who gets up and walks the dog on Saturday mornings because my husband does it through out the week. He has less hair to deal with, and no make-up to apply so I need more time for me in the morning on weekdays. I like getting up on Saturday mornings at a reasonable time and getting my day started. Even though there is that moment, or six, where I am lying in bed and the dog is nudging me, whining at me, or worse- sitting on me, telling me it's time to go out and I think to myself, "If only I could keep sleeping." But once I am up and moving it's not so bad.

Saturday morning walks rarely involve any other people or cars. It's quiet, peaceful, pensive. Just me and Kahne out there in the world. I prefer to walk the dog in the warmer months and go for a nice long stroll when we get up, but the shorter ones in the winter are nice too. Then when I get back home I have the whole house to myself for awhile as my husband is still asleep and the house is quiet and restful too. So I get to decide what is done with my time. No demands, no questions to be answered, no real tasks to get done (except make coffee- must have coffee). I can start the day the way I want to. Saturday mornings are all mine.

4 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

SB said...

well written, very true post! I love Saturdays too...perfect and slow. just wait until you have children -- those weekday mornings of hair and makeup? well, i am not looking forward to seeing how all that's going to go down when it's time for me to go to work!!! Can you imagine me without my makeup!!!!???

Melanie said...

Very, very true. I slept until 11:30 or so today. It was much needed as I've had a pretty rough week. You're right. The weekend really does help everything sort of melt away, for a couple days, anyway.

Beth said...

Serena- No I can't!! LOL, but you'd be so proud of me, I've learned to put make-up on most days!! and now that my hair is short, no pony tails.

Melanie- I hear you about a rough week, me too. Hope everything is going better for you now.

SB said...

oh beth, you are so right, I am so proud!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe