Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

WWW Wednesday


This weekly meme is hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading. I read about it for the first time last week on Molly's blog my cozy book nook and really liked the idea. So here goes! 

To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions:
  • What are you currently reading?
  • What did you recently finish reading?
  • What do you think you’ll read next?
I am currently reading Emma by Jane Austen. I have been working my way through re-reading it since the beginning of January. I have been finding it a little difficult because I usually read very fast and I am finding reading this book slow going. I am not really sure why. I love this book and it has been one of my favourites since I first read it in university. I can see myself finishing it soon and I am trying not to dwell on the fact that I could have read a few other books in the same time I have read this one. I need to remember: quality not quantity!

I am also re-reading Me to We: Finding Meaning in a Material World by Marc and Craig Keilburger with my two Grade 8 English classes. I loved this book when I first read it, and I have started a Me to We club in my school last year with the hopes of raising enough money to build a school in Kenya. I want to pass on my love for volunteering and social activism to my students and I am hoping a book study will do this! My class has decided that they would like to bring awareness to a social cause every month and due to that we are going to wear pick on Friday to raise awareness of breast cancer.

I recently finished reading Bad Company by Cathy MacPhail. This was a book that I was required to read for the school board book review committee I am on. We read books designated for middle school or junior students. I didn't really enjoy this book at all. It was about a girl whose father was sent away to jail for fraud/embezzling and because of that she starts to get into trouble at school and falls into a friendship with a girl who begins to influence her to do the wrong thing. I get the message of this book, however, I just don't think it's strong enough for middle school students to really grasp it on their own. I won't be giving it a good recommendation at the review committee meeting.

Next? That's a great question. There are sooooooooo many books I want to read next. I think I will most likely be starting with The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill because I have been waiting forever to read it!


8 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

SB said...

great variety of texts there Miss Beth!

SB said...

hey beth -- can you tell me what <3 means???

also (j) or (l)...these are new little abbreviations that I've not received the memo for!

Beth said...

SB- I actually have no idea about any of those! I think the first one might be a heart, maybe the (j) is "jokes"? I try VERY hard as an English teacher NOT to use those abbreviations!! except maybe, lol!!

SB said...

damn...i feel so outta the loop...thanks for the response! hope today has gone better for you!

SB said...

me again -- you won another award !!!

here it is: http://nottooseriousihope.blogspot.com/2010/01/yeah-smiley-me.html

Kristi said...

Hi! Found you on the You've Got Mail challenge site, and thought that I would say hello. Kudos for re-reading Emma - there are so many books that I would like to re-read and re-experience, but they are often pushed behind all of the new ones that have yet to be enjoyed :)

Beth said...

Welcome Kristi! I hope to see you back again.

Marg said...

I havent seen this meme before, but it looks like a good one.

I am here via The Saturday Network. You weren't too late! Hope you and your sister found a perfect dress!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe