Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday and all its glory

What is there to hate about a Friday? Nothin'...absolutely nothin'.

I stayed after work today to prep for Monday's lessons because my husband had emailed me and said he would be home late. Seeing as I finish work at 2:30 and he routinely gets home from work at 6:00, if he says "I'll be late", the hours I have free between work and husband time stretch out before me.

There is something about coming home on a Friday and knowing you have so much time spread out before you that is all yours. Sometimes I get very territorial about my weekends, you know, after you've had too many plans filling up your weekend time for too many weeks in a row and you just want to shout at the  world, "Leave my weekends ALONE!" Not that I don't enjoy the plans and time spent with friends or family but sometimes a free weekend just for us is pretty amazing too.

Since I have returned home from work this evening I have walked the dog. As much as I hate snow and cold weather, I wish for the puppy that we had more snow because he loves it and goes tearing around in it like crazy. I have read straight through this week/month's (however often they come) issue of Sports Illustrated and I am all ready for the Super Bowl and the Olympics. (Note: there is a fantastic article in their about Sidney Crosby and an second one about why Canada must win Olympic gold in hockey. A must read for all Canadians). I have had a chat with my sister, who is currently planning her wedding and simultaneously arguing with my mom...but that's another story for another day.

I have not turned on the TV. I do not have any music playing. Lately, I have found that I relish the opportunity to be silent. Perhaps it's for the hours I spent locked into a room with 13 year-olds, perhaps. All I know is that this weekend is mine all mine. I can spend it in silence, in music, in bed, in reading, in eating, in cuddling. It's only limited by me and my imagination.

5 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Molly said...

ah....sounds glorious! Enjoy every second!

SB said...

I love weekends that are so plump with possibilities!

Diane said...

I love having free time to myself. Your Friday afternoon sounds perfect! Have a great weekend too!

Sara said...

Hey there!

This is Sara from The Saturday Network!
That sounds like a great relaxing weekend! I wish I could stand the sound of silence though, I always have to have some sort of noise in the background. I hope you enjoy :) Btw I'm loving your blog!

Beth said...

Molly: Thanks..I really plan to.

SB: Plump- such a fantastic word.

Diane: Hope you are having a great weekend.

Thanks Sara!! And welcome to my blog. I used to hate silence but lately I am really liking at and find I don't turn on the TV or anything for hours. Hope to hear from you again.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe