Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Review- The Book of Negroes

As I stated in an earlier post, I LOVED The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. It is the first book I have chosen to read for the Chunkster Challenge. I normally choose books based on length, I am such a fast reader that I often need to have a long book so that I don't finish it in a night!

Review

I enjoyed this book from both an historical point of view and for reading enjoyment. I almost wish that this book could be used in the Intermediate classroom! After 5 years of teaching the American Revolution, Loyalist migration and the history of the Underground Railroad, I throughly enjoyed reading this book and having such a wealth of background knowledge to bring to the experience. However, I think Hill's writing is so well-detailed and descriptive that any reader could have an enjoyable experience with this book.

The story is told from the first-person point of view of Aminata Diallo, an African woman who was kidnapped from her land and taken to America on a slave ship. My best friend felt that having a women's perspective told by a male author was awkward in parts, but I didn't get that feeling as I read. I appreciated how Hill's writing is able to grab your attention and make the reader a part of the action. My heart went out to Aminata time and time again as her life was being ripped apart. I would recommend this book as a Chunkster to anyone who is looking for a great book to read and who enjoys historical fiction!

5 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Jan von Harz said...

Hi this sounds like a good read. I am wondering if you have read Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson. Also set in Revolutionary era and about a 13 year-old who spies for the Patriots. Really strong character and good historical fiction.

zel said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog!

I agree, I think people file "reading" under "books". My husband says he "doesnt like reading" but he reads when he's playing video games all day or he reads when he's on the internet.

I don't see how you can like reading when it's not a book but hate reading A book, the only difference is, there is no screen and you're required to flip pages! lol.

Beth said...

Jan- I do have "Chains"...it's sitting in my very large to be read pile. I am excited to get to it as I read "Speak" by the same author just this summer.

Zel- It's funny how people classify things. I think it's because so much of what's considered "reading" in school is books and it just sticks with people

Kristi said...

This one has been on my list for a while - I just eat up historical fiction. Glad to hear another good review.

SB said...

Great review, Beth! I cannot believe you had time to do it...a book I've thought of reading on occasion...maybe if I stop blogging long enough oh and finish my current which I've been working on for far too long...

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe