Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Sunday Salon-February 21st

After being out of Blogger range last Sunday (no, my parents still do not have the Internet, my mom says she has no "interest" in it! crazy, I say)  I am happy to be back with this week's Sunday Salon.



I feel that my reading is slowing down somewhat. I am not sure why? I am obviously spending time reading blogs, which is new to me since the summer. The Olympics are on and I love watching them. It's report card time, which I have just started. I am in charge of organizing a school wide winter carnival on Friday...fun times!

I am currently reading Steve Berry's new book The Paris Vendetta. I have yet to be disappointed by any of Berry's books, but I do wish that he would stop pretending that the main character, Cotton Malone, is retired from the US Justice Department since he ends up on a mission for them IN. EVERY. BOOK. I mean really, if I say I am retired and then teach everyday am I still retired? I do enjoy Steve Berry much more than Dan Brown. I loved Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code but then it was such a loooooong wait for the next book. Steve Berry's books come out much more frequently and are just as well written in my opinion.

I have finished Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Frozen Hearts and very throughly enjoyed it! I think this would be a great book for any young girl who likes mysteries. I think boys would like it as well, but seeing as the main character is a girl there might be other series they would enjoy more. I really liked how the vocabulary in the books was advanced and the characters would often explain the meaning of the words they used in their conversations. Quite a neat trick from a teacher's perspective!

As far as my Sunday has gone, I have been very busy! I woke up early and did my grocery shopping. I have decided to start planning my meals out by the week and will be posting that tomorrow. Today I made two pots of soup, cream of cauliflower (my fave) and a new soup- Sante Fe Fajita Chicken- from the Kraft.com website. I do not recommend it. I used to love a chicken tortilla soup made by the chef at the restaurant where I worked and I have been on the hunt ever since! So if you have a recipe for a similar soup- it had a tomato base, lots of veggies and was a little spicy- I would love to have it.

I spent a HUGE chuck of the day prepping reports card- calculating marks, creating comments- and some lesson planning. Normally, I have all my learning skills done (you know, the comments at the end like "So-so plays well with others. Is encouraged to complete their homework more frequently" etc, and then I scrambling to get my marking done. This term it's the opposite. I have the marking done and have yet to start on the learning skills! Yikes...it's not so bad I still have a week. I could do 5 everyday and get them done in time. I'll probably start to tomorrow while I am watching the kids work, I think better when I can see the kids I am writing about.

Now I am off to, hopefully, finish my book and maybe watch the Canada vs. USA hockey game. I get so anxious though...I just want us to win so bad. I don't think it's healthy to have this much anxiety about a sporting event! I hope everyone else has had a fabulous Sunday and weekend to boot.

1 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

SB said...

I am not looking forward to going back to report cards. no not at all.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe