Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Sunday Salon-The Super Bowl Edition

Super Bowl Sunday, and all that goodness. I am a pretty huge football fan, as anyone following my blog for awhile may have deduced. I don't really care who wins the game today. I would have liked to see the Vikings in the game, and Brett Favre win, but it was not to be. The only time I truly care about the actual team that wins is when the Michigan Wolverines play, and then I die a little inside when they don't win (especially to Ohio State). I mostly love the game of football for the drama, the adventure, the heart and soul of the game. It's do or die out there on the football field. I'm sure with enough time (and wine) I could make up all sorts of metaphors and analogies about how football represents life but I just don't have the time or inclination today. I have marked one class set of biography assignments so far and still have a second set to go. I want to get them done before game time, and my sister is due to arrive in less than an hour so that will cut into my marking time as well.

As far as reading went, I finished The Book of Negroes yesterday and loved it! Loved all of it! I have been waiting to read, and hearing about this book for a long time and I am not really sure why I waited so long to read it. I am very happy I did because it feels like there is something poetic about reading it during Black History Month.

My best friend has said that she felt that a man writing the voice of a woman protagonist didn't really work in some parts but I didn't see any of that. I really enjoyed the character of Aminata Diallo. She has such spirit and character about her, it almost makes me wish she was a real person. I also especially liked that as a former teacher of Grade 7 History which focuses on the American Revolution and the Loyalist migration to Canada that I brought a lot of prior knowledge to the book that helped me enjoy it all the more.

In terms of what I am going to read next I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I have a ridiculous TBR pile and it just seems to grow everyday. I am starting to feel a little pressured to read all the books I want to....I wish I didn't have to work and could just read all the time!

I doubt I am going to get any reading in today between the Super Bowl and marking, but one never knows right?

2 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Kathy Martin said...

I too wish the Vikings and Favre were in the Super Bowl. They came so close! But I'm a Minnesota girl born and raised so I have good reason. I will watch the Super Bowl but I'll be reading at the same time. I have a paranormal romance that is just calling my name. Enjoy!

SB said...

hey -- i tagged you on my site!~

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe