Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Whew...life got crazy there for a minute (or 6 days, however you look at it).

So...February 16th, eh? Day 5 of the Olympics? Two weeks until report cards are due? Wow, where has the time gone? In good news...only 4 weeks until March Break and a wonderful week off in Florida! Road Trip!

It's amazing how time can fly by when you fill it up with stuff. I'm not a parent so I can't even imagine what time must feel like to them but I imagine it's a scary prospect. You want things to progress, and grow and change...but it goes so fast!! It seems like yesterday we were having planning meetings, and collecting down payments and here we are- the Grade 8 Ottawa trip is over and done. Before I know it I will be handing out diplomas and watching 13 & 14 year-olds dance the night away at Grad. le sigh

To give you an idea of the last 6 days of my life I will outline the places and things I have done:

Wednesday, Feb 10th
6:45am- my teaching partner picks me up
7:30am- the bus departs for Ottawa 
(Note: everything from here until 7:30pm on Friday involves 50 grade 8 students!)
11:00am- lunch in Kingston
2:00pm- skating on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa
4:30pm- check in to the hotel
6:00pm- buffet dinner 
7:00pm- walking tour of downtown Ottawa
10:00pm- tape the children into their hotel rooms
(Note: we tape the doors once the students are inside so we will know if they have left their rooms in the night!)


Thursday, Feb 11th
6:30am- wake up call for staff and students
7:30am- breakfast in the hotel
9:00am- Canadian War Museum tour and free time (awesome!! I can't wait to go back in the summer and spend a lot more time in the museum)
11:00am- tour of Canadian Parliament
12:30pm- lunch at the Rideau Centre
2:00pm- Snowflake Kingdom in Gatineau, Quebec (Winterlude is a yearly winter festival and Snowflake Kingdom is like a theme park but with ice slides, ice mazes, and ice sculptures)
4:00pm- back to the hotel to get ready for dinner
5:30pm- buffet dinner
7:00pm- 5 bowling in Gatineau, Quebec
10:00pm tape the children into their hotel rooms


Friday, Feb 12th
6:30am- wake up call for staff and students
7:30am- breakfast in the hotel
8:30am- collect keys and check students out of the hotel
9:00am- 45 minute walking tour of the Ambassadors homes (boring!)
10:15am- National Art Gallery tour (I am also very excited to go back here in the summer and spend some time wandering through and looking at the art works!)
12:00pm- lunch and shopping in the ByWard Market of Ottawa
1:30pm- board the bus and head home
7:30pm- arrive at the school from Ottawa and wait for all the students to be picked up
8:30pm- at home sitting on the couch attempting to watch the Opening Ceremonies without falling asleep


Saturday, Feb 13th
9:00am- leave to drive home to visit my parents
11:00am- stop for lunch with my parents
12:30pm- stop to grocery shop with my mom
1:30pm- arrive home and finally have some time to just sit....SIT!!!
This day was relatively quiet and relaxing.


Sunday, Feb 14th 
10:00am- leave for shopping in Michigan with my mom and aunt
10:00-4:30pm- SHOP!! We are super hardcore when it comes to shopping and I got some awesome stuff, including black and polka dots rain boots, a new comforter and sheet set for my guest room, and a yellow leather Liz Claiborne purse, le sigh...!!
5:00pm- meet my dad and uncle for dinner, it was my aunt and uncle's 41 year wedding anniversary, they were married on Valentine's Day
7:00pm- return home to watch Alexandre Bilodeau win Canada's first gold on home soil! Amazing!


Monday, Feb 15th
Sleep-in, hang out with my mom, mark geography tests, health quizzes and drive 3 1/2 hours back home..whew


That's a crazy 6 days, eh? Now I am home and looking forward to some quiet time..well as quiet as it gets this time of year. Sometimes I like to just sit and reflect on how we fill our time and the choices we make about what we have to do and what we need to do and what we want to do. I try to spend as much time with my family as possible even if it means the long drive home and a tired Tuesday morning when I return to work. I hope you were all able to spend the majority of your weekend doing what you wanted to do!

1 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

SB said...

oh wow!!! sounds super busy...

now you better post a picture of that there new purse of yours!!!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe