Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sunday Salon- March 28th


As with everything else, it's been quite awhile since I had a Sunday Salon post. Welcome back, and thanks to all those wonderful bloggers out there who post their thoughts on Sundays about their reading. I really enjoy my Sunday blog reading. Everyone seems calmer, thoughtful and relaxed and introspective on Sundays. Maybe it's the impending doom of returning to work on Monday? I like to think not. Be positive! 

I thought this week that rather than post about my novel reading I would post about my blog reading! In the past...wow, almost a year, since I started blogging myself blog reading has become an integral ingredient in my reading diet. I think that ever changing nature of reading blogs. The discussion aspect of being able to comment and receive feedback from the authors. I like the small glimpse into other's people's lives (maybe I was a peeping tom in a past life?) and I like that there is no pressure to read certain blogs, or finish certain blogs the way I sometimes feel about books.

So here goes!

Ms. Mimi at It's Not All Flowers and Sausages has been on quite a rant about the firing of an entire school of teachers due to the poor performance of the students for quite sometime. Poor girl, she's having a baby and keeps getting all worked up. I agree with her point of view pretty much everyday and I find it super comforting to know that someone else out there thinks like me and is as passionate as I am that teaching should be done well for the sake of the children and support is needed for that to happen. My favourite post of hers last week was this one about teacher evaluations, especially seeing as mine is looming. 

I found a new blog this week, In Which a Girl Reads and read an enlightening post about YA romance and rape culture. It'll get you thinking!!! There's more here as well. 

My Favourite Things posted about reusable shopping bags. I don't have these baggu bags, but I don't think using reusable bags is one the easiest things to do to show you love the Earth. Also, turning your lights off everyday not just for Earth Hour.

I just love this no matter what. Every post. Every time. 

Jill at The O.W.L. does an amazing feature about what her Grade 7 students are reading called 7's Up. I love the idea and have asked to steal it for my own blog. I will post about my 8's though, seeing as that is what I am currently teaching. She's also "taking back her blog!" which is a popular post lately, I've been reading about more than one blogger who's getting back to basics and I applaud them all. 

I heart organizing.

I learned about the Book Bloggers Hop this week and discovered some great new blogs, including one that is about books and purses. It's like I found my long lost twin! 

I might try this next week. 

My sister started a blog and cited me as her inspiration. I haven't heard from her if it's cool to put a link to her blog so you all can check it out yet, and believe me she's touchy about that stuff (Jennibean- you are, admit it. If I linked you'd be mad I didn't ask, now that I'm asking and not linking you'll be mad. It's a difficult life, I'm not going to lie! I love you like the Dickens, but some predictability would be good.) My sister is by far the smartest person I have ever met in real life and after only 2 posts I am already in love with her blog (maybe I'm biased? maybe?) and as soon as I can I'm going to post a link for y'all so you can fall in love with her too. 

Brian always makes me think. Always. Thanks. 

To everyone out there, have a good week, a great Sunday, and happy blogging.

OH MY GOODNESS- I totally forgot that I wanted to link to SB who is heading back to work after her mat leave. All the best today, my friend. So sorry to have forgotten.

6 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Diane said...

What a great post; you touched on so many great topics )I'm off to check out some of these other blogs).

Have a great Week Beth!

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

Thanks for mentioning me! :) and yes yes yes do post about your 8th graders. I'd love to hear what other students are reading!

Cleverly Inked said...

Ahh thats to bad you didn't link to your Sisters blog. I always like finding new blogs

Beth said...

Thanks to all!

Cleverly Inked- I will link her blog as soon as she says ok!

Jill- Thanks!

Liz said...

There is just so much good stuff out there and not enough time to read it all! I find an amazing amount of info on line. There are some political sites/blogs I visit frequently. Those are probably the only ones I visit faithfully everyday. I love all the ideas I get for books online -- and I know I've visit the O.W.L. site in the past, so how fun to see you mention it. I got the recommendation for my present book, in fact, online: I Promised You Daisies by Robert Benjamin, set in and around Boston in the late 1960s and recounting the young adulthood life of Benjamin (and his student bride) as he tries to become a responsible adult member of society without yet having understood what had gone wrong during his childhood. People involved with gifted children (especially those who struggle to advocate on their behalf and help them) will enjoy this, and have plenty of "aha" moments, where they get it completely. It's full or imagery and intimate detail -- quite enjoyable.

Happy Monday everyone (as I write this). It's spring break week for my youngest, so hopefully we'll have some fun this week.

SB said...

thanks so much chiqita! you're a good friend. now to get some inspiring lesson plans going that don't use all your ideas so i can actually share them with you...

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe