Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday Salon- March 7th




Uggggg, I have been sick for the past few days.... so I can't say that this is going to be a very long post. I have had a lot of time to read this week, however, as my report cards are done and I have been lying around in bed trying to get better. 

I finished all of my books that I needed to read for my school board review committee that meets on Tuesday. Unfortunately, none of my books were "excellents" this time although I did have two I thought would be popular with kids: Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Frozen Hearts and Nick of Time: An Adventure Through Time. Both were very cute and fun reads that I think would grab kids. Are they great literature? No. Does it matter? NO! I don't think kids have to read great literature, they will grow into that and as long as they are reading that's a good thing.

I have started reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It is on my Read Before I Die list and will count as a Chunkster (will it ever!!) for my Chunkster challenge. I knew nothing about this book before I started reading it other than it was on the BBC list of 100 Books to Read Before You Die...hence why I choose it for my list. I am about 100 pages in and am really liking it. Historical fiction is one of my faves so it's right up my alley.

I also read another chapter in Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time. This chapter was about the first principle outlined by author Susan Scott- Master the Courage to Interrogate Reality. This chapter was about facing up to the problems that actually exist at work, in your family, relationship, or personal beliefs. Not being afraid to really face what's wrong. Scott talks about the meetings we have all been in, where the boss says something and we all sit there knowing we disagree but no one says on does anything and the problem never gets fixed. This chapter is all about standing up to the problem and facing it head on.  

I am only a week away from March Break and one glorious week on the beach in Florida. I am still deciding if I will take a week's break from blogging or try to keep it up? Not sure. I am looking forward to days and days spent reading and relaxing. The countdown has begun...

4 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Diane said...

BETH....i hope u enjoy your vacation, especially since you've been sick. feel better

SB said...

hm. i thought i commented on this post. maybe i just read it.

feel better. who you going with?
SB


not too serious i hope

Beth said...

SB- stranger things have happened... I am going with my old roommate Sara, remember her

Kristi said...

Pillars of the Earth is one of my all time favorite books! Hope that you love it.

Hope that your vacation is great - you'll be in my neck of the woods. I'll try to keep the beautiful weather around for you.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe