Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tuesday-phew!

I am going to take a small hiatus from Teachin' Tuesday today (mostly because I forgot to take my camera to school and could take the pictures I wanted to post! I'll try and get in done for you all tomorrow) and instead I am going to update my to-do list from Sunday. Thanks SB for reminding me!


This was the list when I posted on Sunday:

1. Enjoy a delicious Cinnabon for breakfast (back to the diet tomorrow)
2. Wear my Olympic jersey for luck
3. Start working on the laundry
4. Mark Geography unit tests
5. Finish my report cards
6. Finish the laundry
7. Clean up around the house
8. Watch Canada win gold in Olympic Hockey!

Here is what it looks like by Sunday evening!


1. Enjoy a delicious Cinnabon for breakfast (back to the diet tomorrow)
2. Wear my Olympic jersey for luck
3. Start working on the laundry
4. Mark Geography unit tests
5. Finish my report cards (edited and ready to be printed tomorrow)
6. Finish the laundry
7. Clean up around the house
8. Watch Canada win gold in Olympic Hockey!

I was sooooo caught up in the game and the after celebration I forgot to return to my post and update my to-do list. Thankfully, all was done!

For anyone out there that isn't Canadian I want to take some time to explain what these games meant to us. We have long been looked upon as a quiet, mannerly, polite nation. All of which is true. But there has long been a simmering national pride that rears its loud, boisterous self when needed- during the World Juniors, during the World Cup of Hockey, at the Curling World Championships. This, however, was the first time our national pride was brought to such a fever pitch and was put on display for the world to see. We are a passionate people that love our maple leaf, our hockey players and our national pride.

The Vancouver games have been discussed many times over the past few weeks as a turning point for this generation of Canadians. We are fully prepared to wear out heart on our sleeve, shirt, face, and anywhere else you can put a maple leaf! I, myself have a maple leaf tattoo on my right ankle and my husband has one on his calf. 

We are used to our neighbours to the south being the loud, boisterous life of the party and we wanted in on the action. The Americans sure know how to be proud and we wanted to be proud too! If you want to see a fantastic video that helps explain all this, check this out...


This video brings tears to my eyes every time I see it. I have never been prouder to be Canadian, and even if we hadn't won a single medal I would still be in love with my country. 

This is another great video from during the Olympics- Tom Brokaw Explains Canadians to Americans.


Finally, here is another video from CTV and Stephen Brunt that helps to explain, or tries to explain why these Olympics will be a turning point for Canadian pride. No longer will we be quiet. No longer do we want to.

3 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Kristi said...

Well said, Beth! I previously saw the Tom Brokaw broadcast and was very moved. So thankful that I had the opportunity to see it and have my eyes opened to so many things that make Canada great.

From this very proud American: congratulations and well done! :-)

Beth said...

Thanks Kristi- And I must say that I was moved by how well NBC showed Canada and praised Canadians throughout the Olympics. They were fabulous. I hope we do the States justice next time you guys host!

SB said...

Yay Canada!
SB





not too serious i hope

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe