Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Monday, March 22, 2010

Welcome Back...to me! (Be sure to check out the contest link at the bottom)

Back home, back to life, back to school....back to a mess?

Yes, renovations have started on our kitchen. We are putting in a new floor, countertop and tile back splash. Just to give you some history, here is what the kitchen looked like when we bought the house.







And la piece de resistance, here is what the grout looked like between the tiles on the countertop...







Gross....can you believe they made food on that?

Here is what we did to attempt to make it look good... 

1) I bleached the grout and resealed it.




...and we painted the walls green (which I now no longer even like!! Painting will be part of the renovation)



When I returned home from Florida on Saturday night I found my husband and father-in-law hard at work starting the renovations. They had completed all the demolition- the tile floor and concrete sub floor had been ripped up, the tile countertop and backsplash were removed and this is what I came home to...









Now, I know it has to look worse before it looks bad but I really miss having water, and counters and I don't enjoy having my stove in my living room. But I know when it's finished it will be amazing, and I promise to post pictures. I am pretty sure that all the chaos at home is what prompted me to move my desk and re-organize my entire classroom after school today...at least I have control over one area, right?

So, needless to say- due a lack of a working kitchen there is no Menu Plan for this week. It's going to be a fly by the seat our pants, BBQ or take-out week.


PS- Check out this awesome contest from Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm- 12 books! Wow!

3 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

StephTheBookworm said...

Good luck with the renovations! We just had our ONE bathroom renovated and it was such an inconvenience. I had to stay at my brother's house for over a week, sleeping on the couch! I hope your renovations get done a lot quicker! :)

SB said...

oh man - good luck remaining calm in that upheaval! let's hope for a speedy finish!


not too serious i hope

hcmurdoch said...

Having built my living space over 2 years and and then a new kitchen over a few months, I totally sympathize and I am excited for you! Remodeling is tiring and exhilarating at the same time.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe