Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Friday, April 23, 2010

Finished...Reads, Reads and Reads

My personal reading has been dictated in the last week or so by the 10+ books I have to finish by June 9th for the school board review committee! Thankfully, I choose some pretty short junior-esque (Grade 4-6) novels this time around so I should be okay. I am always surprised by the quality of books we are given to read, so many end up being classified as "good" or "excellent" and then recommended for purchase in the libraries of my school board.

So far this round I have read:

Sunny Holiday by Coleen Murtagh Paratore- a cute story about a young girl who lives with her mother and her father is in prison. The dreaded "bus-girls" bully her at school but she rises above it, shows her community what she's made of and provides a voice of leadership for young girls, there's also some great bits about creative writing, a community of women supporting each other, and learning from your mistakes

Neil Flambe and the Marco Polo Murders by Kevin Sylvester- I wrote a review about this book here

Nothing But The Truth by Avi- this is a documentary novel according to the cover, it's written in the forms of memos, letters, dialogue transcripts etc about a boy who hums along to the national anthem and is kicked out of class for causing a disturbance, the story line follows what happens as this becomes a national story and the circles around the central idea of whose perspective is the truth!?

Box Out by John Coy- this was another really interesting read, Liam makes the varsity basketball team even though he is only a sophomore and really wants to make a good impression but once he's in the locker room he discovers that the coach consistently leads the team in Christian prayers and encourages them to attend Christian fellowship-style meetings, the catch is that Liam goes to a public high school where not everyone is a Christian, the story follows his decision to follow his beliefs or follow his love of the game

I received a couple books in the mail this week as well that I am looking forward to reading-

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Beastley by Alex Finn

...and for my profession reading-

Reading Ladders by Teri Lesesne.

I must admit, just talking and write about books and reading does wonders to lift me out of my funk!


Don't forget- Friday is the Book Blogger Hop over at Crazy for Books!
I am going away for the weekend, but my plan is to do some blog hopping when I return on Sunday!!

11 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Miss Remmers said...

Good luck! I really want to read Hex Hall and Beastly.

Milli said...

I've wanted to read Beastly for a while now. I hope it was good!

Milli said...

I awarded you over at my blog!

Kelly McDermott-Bay said...

Loved the, "The Pillars of the Earth."
Kelly Bookend Diaries
http://bookenddiaries.blogspot.com

LJK/WhatMissKelleyIsReading said...

Visiting via the hop, and as a teacher I'm interested to read about reviewing books for the school board. I'm about to start reading books to choose for summer reading!

Lea
What Miss Kelley Is Reading

SB said...

yay reading and writing!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Hi! I'm stopping by from the book blogger hop!!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Hi! I'm stopping by from the book blogger hop!! I've wanted to read beastly for awhile

GMR said...

Just hopping through from the blogger hop! Nice site! Will have to linger a bit and look around.... (love the dog pic...so cute!)

Jan von Harz said...

I use to to teach Nothing But the Truth. It is a great book to read aloud with students doing the various parts. I have always loved Avi.

Also read Hex Hall and enjoyed it.

I am excited to be partnered with you for the Book Battle.

Beth said...

Jan- me too! I think it's going to be great...and interesting to see what book is brought back as the mystery book.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe