Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Monday, April 5, 2010

Hobbies, Balance, and Knitting- The Opposite Side of Teachin' Tuesday

Teachin' Tuesday is being flipped on its head this week and I am looking at the opposite side of work- leisure time. Balance is a word that gets thrown around a lot in teaching. We are told to balance work and life, life and work, home and work, work and family, etc, etc, etc.

Anyone who knows me know I get stuff done. Multi-tasking is my middle name and I do it well. The downside of this is that I don't relax well. I rarely sit still and just do on thing at a time. I do not balance work and home life very well and tend to bring too much of my work home with me, whether that is physically or metaphorically. I do believe that bringing home too much worry and stress is not only a family trait (eh, Jen?) it is also often a teacher's trait. So, that brings us to April 2010 where I am working very hard at not solely focusing on work and trying very hard to cultivate hobbies and other interests to occupy my time.

So what have I been doing to de-stress? Well, I am so glad you asked! This blog has become a fabulous outlet for me to let go of my stress and to learn so many new things that take my mind off school and teaching. Focusing on my reading, trying different reading challenges and reviewing the books I have read is another way I am using my time. Last year I joined a co-ed baseball team with my husband and I am looking forward to our 2010 season starting up in a few weeks. Just this weekend I re-learned how to knit from my grandmother. I was taught as a child and enjoyed doing it, I have always been a crafty kid, not an arty kid. I picked it up again very quickly and am currently about 1/4 of the way through a scarf. I am hoping to tackle the challenge of an afghan next!

All of this focus on hobbies and un-work related pursuits has been on my mind for while and brings many thoughts to mind.

How important is it to have balance?
Does anyone really achieve it?
What does it actually look like when you have kids in the mix?
I am really good at my job (if I do say so myself) so isn't okay to focus on that and want to continue being good and always work at getting better?
My job makes me happy so isn't okay to work at it?

I often wonder of men and women look at this from different points of view as well. Do men worry about this as much as women? Are they better at letting go of the work worries? Or worse? I know that when I come home I want to make a good dinner, have a clean house, be ready for the next day and have a kick-ass lesson to teach in the morning. Is that too much to ask?


It seems that like everything else, balance is work. And if that's the case than really are you finding balance at all?

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe