Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Road by Cormac McCarthy- Review

I had heard many, many things about this book before I read it...not all good, per se, but all intriguing and this is what made me put it on me Books to Read Before I Die challenge list and pick it up in the first place. 


This is the blurb found at chapters.ca about the book:
A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don''t know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing; just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food--and each other.The Road is the profoundly moving story of a journey. It boldly imagines a future in which no hope remains, but in which the father and his son, "each the other''s world entire," are sustained by love. Awesome in the totality of its vision, it is an unflinching meditation on the worst and the best that we are capable of: ultimate destructiveness, desperate tenacity, and the tenderness that keeps two people alive in the face of total devastation.


I was told that I would feel devastated and empty when I finished this book. That it would move me profoundly. So as I read it, and was not drawn in I felt myself wondering, "What's wrong with me?". There are so many great reviews and positive things that have been said about this book that maybe it's me? ...


I found myself skimming through the parts of the book as a I had a difficult time with the lack of punctuation, improper grammar and awkward sentence structure. I never felt moved by this journey being undertaken by a father and son. It didn't seem extra-ordinary. To me that's what any parent would do in that situation for their child, they would attempt to get their child to a place where they may be safe. They would use any measures necessary to do so. And they would do it out of love.


So what made this father and son so different than any other parent and child? Nothing really in my eyes. I am very interested to see the movie and wonder if my reaction might be different when faced with the visual aspects of this story?


I feel sort of at odds with the world since I didn't like this book, and knowing that as least one other person (thanks SB!) wasn't drawn in does make me feel better. I wouldn't recommend this book, however, the world is made up of all sorts of people and they are many other people out there that would recommend it. So....choose for yourself on this one, I guess!

3 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

The Canadian Enthusiast said...

What you have to realize is that this novel was written in a kind of obsolete vernacular.

The Canadian Enthusiast said...

What you have to realize is that this book was written in a kind of obsolete vernacular. Pow...

Beth said...

The Canadian Enthusiast...can you explain more?

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe