Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Salon

So many things to write about...just one post?

Well, I think I can say I am officially out of my funk from last week. It could just be that it is the weekend and I didn't have to go to work....but I am looking on the positive side and am hoping it is more than that! Lots of fun and good stuff (is that grammatically correct?) is starting to happen so I think that will help me be funk-less.

The  YA Bloggers Debut Book Battle is starting up over at The Shady Glade! I am signed up to judge an upcoming round in June when a previous "loser" book (not a bad book, just one that lost it's bracket contest) is brought back into the competition. My judging partner is Jan from Eating YA Books and I am really excited/ nervous for this experience. Our bracket is pretty close to the end of the competition, what if I choose wrong? What if everybody disagrees with our decisions? ....Scary. But exciting.

My sister and I start our online art journaling class tomorrow. I am crazy excited for this to start. I loved the introduction tutorial and think it's going to be a fun, creative and introspective experience. We just need to figure out how we are going to get together to be able to work on the pages or whether we will do some separately? It's a 6-week course but I think we will still have access to the site after the 6 weeks so maybe we don't need to rush to cram it all in? We went shopping together today for all sort of fun "ephemera" we can use on our pages and we learned, the hard way, that scrap booking and paper supplies are expensive! But I keep thinking about the awesome journal I am going to have at the end and I feel better!

I finished my taxes. Mine and my husband's. Yeah.

I finished another book for my school board review committee- Lilydale Awakening by Wendy Corsi Staub. This was a very interesting book, and the first in a series. I like series for young readers because they are able to become friends, or enemies, with the characters over a longer period of time and think more about what they are reading. The premise behind this first book is that Calla's mother died suddenly in an accident in their home, her life has been ripped upside down and to top it all she has to go and live with her grandmother, who she barely knows, in Lilydale. Once she arrives in Lilydale she learns it is the world's largest congregation of spiritualists- those people who can communicate with the dead- and she begins to discover she may have talents of her own in this area. I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. I think I read it in less than 2 days? Highly recommended for younger readers who enjoy a little mysticism and mystery!

I had a great night with SB from not too serious I hope. We caught up from the 6+ year break we have had in our face-to-face friendship! Her house is beautiful. E is beyond gorgeous. And SB is just as fabulous to chat with as I remember. A night well spent.

Other than all this...I have some marking and lesson planning I want to do, I hear Hex Hall calling my name and I want to start it! (Not to mention my sister brought me The Children's Book which I have been wanting to read forever). So much to do, so little time.

Happy Sunday everyone!

2 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

readerbuzz said...

Busy week for you! Hope you get a little time to read today!

SB said...

ah shucks - right back at you! we loved having you and e asked about you when she got up today!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe