Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Teachin' Tuesday- Re-Con Mission



I learned a couple great strategies over the last few days as I have been out of my classroom and at some workshops. I like to pay attention to the strategies workshop facilitators use with adults as they are often great for the classroom of kids!!

The one I like the best, and that I am going to try on Thursday is called Re-Con (Reconnaissance) Mission.  After you have had the students working in groups on a task- venn diagram, chart, mind map, etc send them out to do some reconnaissance work on what the other groups have thought of and then they can add the new ideas to their work! I think this would build the idea of community in a classroom, as well as help validate student work as they can see when other groups valued their contribution enough to include on their chart. You can have them do their original work in one colour and then the re-con ideas in a second colour so they stand out.

images.clipartof.com/

We have been doing quite a bit of work in the textbook about unions and the change in roles for women during the Industrial Revolution so I think I will give the students some time to consolidate their learning by using this strategy!

I also learned TTYNA... which stands for Turn To Your Neighbour And... then you give a prompt like "explain your thoughts", "share your answer". It's really a more modern version of Think/Pair/Share and imagine how cool you will be when you use the letter slang so popular with kids!! LOL

2 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

SB said...

love these! love them. I do both kind of...but now the colours will be added. I tell you once I feel I have learned new strategies, I will add to yours. but until i catch up, I learn from you, my friend.

lucky class has enjoyed the graffiti very very much!!

nat @book, line, and sinker said...

sound like some tips i could put to use in my classroom too! love that we teachers are perpetual students! :)

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe