Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Monday, May 3, 2010

Goal Setting

How often do you set goals? I mean actually write them down, plan for them, review them, look at them, etc?

There have been a few prompts for my art journaling class that have to do with goals, dreams, to do lists etc and it has got me thinking about goals. Long term. Short term. Today. Tomorrow. Unfinished. Impossible or improbable. Goals.

Sometimes I feel like there are so many cool things I want to do, see, places I want to go...but then at the same time I want to have a pretty house, a nice yard and just hang out with my husband. It's so hard to balance the two and to be honest, I bail on plans and stay home a lot more often then I ever thought I would growing up. I've become a homebody.

That's why the 101 Things in 1001 Days that I mentioned yesterday is so intriguing to me. This is the website where the idea was born.  Writing down the things I want to do and then giving myself a deadline is almost like a challenge. I am very interested in creating my own list. Especially since there are some things in my own city that I have never done!

Things that might be on my list include...

1. Visit the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO)

2. Visit the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)

3. Visit the Bata Show Museum

4. Go to the Toronto Zoo

5. Have family portraits done

6. Organize my home office

7. Run 5K

8. Don't eat potato chips for a month

9. Donate blood

10. Start to use environmentally friendly cleaners in my home

11. Watch 20 Oscar winning movies that I haven't seen

12. Make a list of 101 things that make me happy (love this idea from Scarlet Words)

13. Do 31 Random Acts of Kindness on my 31st birthday

14. Participate in the Worldwide Day of Giving on June 15th

15. Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity

16. Stay over at a Bed and Breakfast up north with my husband

17. Go camping for a weekend, in a tent

18. Go shopping at the St Lawrence Market

19. Find a great used book store in my area

20. Watch all three Lord of the Rings movies in one sitting

21. De-clutter every room in my house (wow, eh!)

22. Go to Las Vegas

23. Finish the scarf I started knitting

24. Keep my art journal for an entire year (I mean actually journal in it for an entire year! I am bad at starting and not finishing journals)

25.  Send a package to the Canadian troops at Christmas

26. Shop at a farmer's market on a regular basis

Well....it's a good start. 101 things is a lot of things! I would love to know what would be on your list!

4 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

SB said...

so good beth~ some amazing goals. I hope you achieve at least some of these this summer. Keep the list and scratch the items off as you go - how satisfying is that???

Brian DeWagner said...

Alright lady....this is awesome idea #235...

We're going to the movies together, but you know, not together...a cyber double date...

In line with your watching 20 classic films type goal thingy...I've been doing it for awhile and I love it!! So...

Let's pick a date...rent the films...and then you and your affectionate other, and me and my lovely other, will settle in to watch a film...we'll watch the same film ...you at your house, and us at ours...we'll start it at the same time, and even pre-arrange our film food so it's the same...as though we were in the same place. BAM...double date.

The conundrum comes with movie selection, see I have some serious favorites, stuff that I've seen, and there's surely stuff that you've already seen but I suggest "Rear Window" with James Stewart and Grace Kelly to start...Then you get the next pick...

Wanna?

Beth said...

Brian, I love it!!

Okay, I am going to make that plan another goal just in case we don't always choose Oscar winner...then we won't be tied down either!

Yeah!! How does next weekend sound for our first "double date"?
Beth

Brian DeWagner said...

Lemme check the schedule and get back to you...it might be good.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe