Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Looking Back, Looking Forward

There is something very soothing about sitting sitting in the quiet of your house on a rainy Thursday afternoon in May. The end of the school year is so close I can almost taste it. 32 little (loooong) days. That's all. And my career at my current school will be ending. Four years of walking the same halls, saying good morning to the same people, getting my mail from the same ridiculously high mailbox cubby (seriously, I'm only 5'4"...why is mine at the very top?) and seeing the same kids.

It's funny, this year's graduating Grade 8's were the first kids I taught when I started at my school four years ago. I had a Grade 7 homeroom of kids that have obviously since moved onto the high school, but these Grade 8's were my little Grade 5's. Now they are leaving, and I am leaving. I haven't told them yet. The staff all know of course, but none of the kids. Their reactions will be interesting for sure. Some will not be sad to see me leave, as I will not be sad to see them leave...but I hope some will be.

It's been a trying year of ups and down, many downs it seems. My classes have tried my patience on more than one occasion, I have not really felt fulfilled professionally in a long time, and the staff morale at my school has sunk to an all time low. I am glad to be moving on to new things and new challenges but at the same time this school has been my home away from home for four years. I have made some very good friends that I hope to hang on to, and I know there are some people who this will be a parting of the ways for good. That is the natural order of things.

So now I just need to make it through the next 32 days, I need to pack up my room, complete my report cards and survive the end of the year while teaching 50 Grade 8's. Le sigh.

1 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

SB said...

Oh le sigh...one step at a time...yup - you're almost there! You can do it! So many good changes you are making, it seems...*did I just sound like Yoda, there? I think so! You are heading, I feel, in a great direction AND you are taking control of the things YOU CAN control - to help feel fulfilled again. YAY YOU!

p.s. thanks for the comments - you are and were always a good forthright friend who always extends herself for others. You are rare.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe