Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Monday, May 10, 2010

Making the Most of Our Choices

I have been thinking a lot lately about how people make choices. How they think about their choices. How they weight the pros and cons. How they come to their decisions. How they live with their decisions.

I have always been someone who makes quick decisions. Now I don't mean that I make rash, or snap decisions but I often know very quickly what I want to do. I guess you could say that I know my own mind. It doesn't really matter if it is a big decision or a small decision, I will know very quickly what I want to do in the situation. This comes in handy in the classroom when I am being asked a million questions over the course of the day or when I am shopping. I usually know that if I am dithering (don't you love that word) on an item that I don't really want it and if I do buy it then it will be a regret purchase later.

However, when I am trying to make a decision with another person it can lead to frustrations.

My husband does not make quick decisions. He needs time to think, to mull things over, for me to explain it to him again.  This can lead to some frustration on my part, and I am sure on his. When we try to make a decision together it often involves me knowing what I want to do and what I think we should do and he is still processing the information and trying to figure out what he thinks about the whole situation. He hasn't even gotten to the decision making part yet. I am sure anyone watching, or listening, to us discuss these decisions is having a good laugh.

It does however make me worry that I bully my husband into deciding what I want. What if he doesn't really agree with me but he just goes along but he knows I have already made my decision and rarely change my mind. Wow, I sure sound super fun to live with, eh? I just mean that I know what I want and I usually make up my mind to go after it.

It's something we all do everyday, in every aspect of our lives but I don't think we really think about it enough. Decision making. How do you do it?

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe