Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Spring? Reading? And Other Questions of a Meaningless Nature

So whatever happened to spring? I'm not sure what it is like where you are, but here in south-western Ontario it's COLD! I just got back from walking the dog (I am home sick today in case anyone is noticing the time stamp, however, being sick does not stop the dog from wanting to go out) and I wore my mittens and a scarf. I would have worn my toque but I couldn't find it.

It's weather like this that make me worry about the concept of climate change and global warming. We barely had winter this year, I think I shovelled once and now since "spring" has come the temperature has fluctuated from 30 degrees celsius to below zero and snowing!! It's gotta make you wonder about the earth and what we have done to it, doesn't it?

In other news, I have been reading a bit more lately. I had hit a reading snag and just couldn't seem to get into it. Does that every happen to you? Where the hobbies and pastimes you usually enjoy just seem blah for awhile? It usually happens to me after I have finished reading a particularly strong or interesting book. Or if I have read a lot of books in short period of time. It's like my brain needs a break to recup. I am still trying to finish all my books for the review committee before the beginning of June so that might have something to do with it as well. I haven't really felt in control of my own reading lately. I am looking forward to the summer and many sunny days (fingers crossed) out in the sun reading after getting home from summer school.

Speaking of summer school, sometimes I can't believe I signed up to teach it again. On one hand I have to give credit to these kids who do come everyday in the summer in an attempt to improve their marks. But on the other hand many of them are only there because their parents make them go. Such a conundrum really. The money is really good though and every little bit helps.

The book I am currently reading is "The Schwa Was Here" by Neal Shusterman. It's a pretty interesting read and one that I think boys would really like. I especially like it for boys because it doesn't have guns, or shooting, or violence but I still really think boys would find it interesting. The main premise of the book is that a teenage boy named Calvin Schwa, or The Schwa, is invisible. That is people just don't notice him. There are all sorts of urban legends about him and his family floating around the New Jersey neighbourhood where he lives and one day Ansty (Anthony) Bonano decides he's going to figure out how "The Schwa Effect" really works. Through this they become friends, earn some cash from doing dares and of course have falling out. This is the part that I am at now and I am very interested to see what is going to happen because The Schwa has declared he is going to do something that will make him un-invisible forever.... I think I just have three more books to go and then I will be done my review reading for June's meeting. Whew!

4 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Emidy said...

It's so cold where I live, too! Just two weeks ago it was in the 20s and I was wearing shorts to school. I have no idea what happened...

Milli said...

I know, right? It's freezing. I had to wear my coat again today...grr...when is summer going to come?

Priya Parmar said...

my family are not happy with me right now as it dropped to nearly freezing on the east coast and they all want to be out here! what are you going to teach for summer school?

Beth said...

I miss warm weather!! It's starting to get a little warmer here but nothing like it was a few weeks ago.

Priya, I am not sure yet about summer school. Last year I taught Grade 8 english and the year before that Grade 7 english. Hopefully, it will be one of the 2 and not math!!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe