Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

TBR Readathon Gets Off to a Brilliant Start

Whew!! I am a reading machine. I basically decided on Monday that I would participate in the Huge TBR Readathon as a way of celebrating the end of the school year and finishing my report cards (I just didn't get around to posting my intentions until today). So, because I decided yesterday I am going to count the book I finished yesterday as part of my reading. Ha.


It's my readathon and I'll do what I want to! LOL


So, last night I finished "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt which I absolutely loved! Every word. Every page. Every description. McCourt is a fantastic writer that brings his early life in Ireland to life in the pages of his memoir. 



My best friend was astonished that I was reading it, and liking it. But what's not to like. I understand that the story itself is quite depressing and sad (can nothing go right for this family?) but the story was also gripping and drew the reader in. I am very glad that I added in to my list for the "Books to Read Before I Die Challenge". 

Now, the real readathon reading has begun. I started and finished a book since I got home from work. I plan to shout from the rooftops that EVERYONE, everyone must read this book. I couldn't put it down. I could barely stand the time it took me to get through a page because I wanted to keep turning to find out what would happen next. Compelling. Gripping. Awesome (in every sense of that word). What book was it you say?

"Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher. Chapters lists this synopsis of the book-

"Clay Jenkins returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers 13 cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Bakerahis classmate and crushawho committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, heall find out how he made the list."



Doesn't that just make you want to run to your nearest bookstore to get this book? I highly, highly recommend it. It has shot to the top of my list of books to tell me people about. To tell teenagers, parents, teachers and anyone else I can think about this. Just amazing.

For the rest of the TBR Readathon I am hoping to read through as many books as possible. On my TBR list are:

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Myer
Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse by Rick Riordian
Extras by Scott Westerfeld
The Last Song by Nicolas Sparks

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself by listing too many, but with any luck I will get through this list and need to add more. And that's all.........for now, I am off to read.

2 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Molly said...

Wow -- you have really started off well! Keep up the good work :)

Helen's Book Blog said...

2 of my favorite books! Angela's Ashes is just intense, interesting, and so well written; I thoroughly enjoyed it. And Thirteen Reasons Why! What a page-turner! 2 great choices to start your TBR read-a-thon!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe