Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The First Day- The First of Firsts

This was originally posted on September 8th, 2009.


I am beyond tired. Now I know that many people work for all 12 months of the year and that I only work for 10 and therefore shouldn't be complaining about being tired about working for one day after having an entire 2 months off....but that being said, "Man! I am tired!"

I had a great first day though. I am super excited about my class this year. I think I have a great mixture of kids and personalities...maybe too many personalities! But I would rather have that than a silent room where I am being stared at for the entire day. I have one gentleman who rather enjoys speaking out. It's not malicious or meant to be disruptive, he just really enjoys talking and discussing his ideas. Now you might be thinking that he wouldn't really work well with others, but during a group task today he took charge, assigned roles and made sure everything got done for his group. Then during their presentation he spoke very well and gave detailed examples for each of his answers. I am excited to get to know him better as a person this year and watch him grow as well.

I have quite a few of my students from last year when I taught Grade 7 that I brought along with me to Grade 8. They are just as sweet and prepared to learn as well. I don't remember ever being quite this excited to start a school year with my homeroom. It makes me quite happy because I loved my class last year..I mean LOVED! I would have taken all 24 of those kids with me forever, so knowing that this year's class might be comparable already has me smiling through my exhaustion.

That is not to say that I don't have any "challenges" in my room. I have a young friend who was in a class last year that had many students that struggled with learning (I am striving to be very politically correct here), and this year the administration chose to remove him from that class and reintroduce him to a regular classroom, namely my regular classroom. However, in this case I think peer pressure may be a fantastic thing because he was focused and involved all day, appearing to not want to stand out in the class as the one who "didn't get it". That being said...it was only 1 day! Who knows what the rest of the year will bring?

I am very excited looking forward to this year teaching Grade 8 and all the adventures it promises. 

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe