Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Monday, November 1, 2010

Advice-Adschmice

I am reaching that stage in my pregnancy when everyone feels that I need their advice. It goes something like this;

"Oh, this is your first child? Are you ready for your entire life to change?"

"You know nothing will ever be the same, right?"

"You might as well give up reading now because you won't have time to read anymore." (Really, never? I find that hard to believe.)

"It's important to get used to not having things done the way you like because you'll be too tired and your husband will do things his way and you'll just be happy about it."

Etc

Etc

Etc

Now, I have never been a mom, nor (obviously) had a child of my own...but I once was a child and I can tell you for a fact that my mom read all the time. My mom gets stuff done the way she wants in her house.

I know things will be different but I refuse to lose my entire identity because I am becoming a mom. I will most definitely put my child first, however, there will be time for me to read. There will be time for me to make sure things are done the way I like.

I don't think totally giving up on myself and who I am as a person is a very good example for my child and I refuse to do it.

3 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Brian DeWagner said...

We ignored everyone...I mean, everyone...best idea ever.

Beth said...

Brian- I think that's a great idea! I am trying my best...I do however, like your bookstore idea!!

The Canadian Enthusiast said...

The same people who are telling you your life will be over don't really enjoy having children. They probably yell at them and they probably view them as a burden rather than an enhancement to life. They are the same people who complain about being tired before they even open their eyes in the morning. The same people who have a "cold" for 37 weeks a year. The type of people who wear jogging pants every minute they are outside of the workplace. They probably never read in the first place or did anything outside of watch tv and go to work.

We got the same thing - all of the time. I never understood it, mostly because it isn't true. It takes time management of course and it isn't as easy to just do things, but it is the most fun you will ever have ever.

And....it makes it a lot harder to be angry when, in middle of a burst of rage, a little head pokes around a corner and squeaks Daddy...or mommy in your case I suppose. Fuck em. Enjoy it.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe