Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Friday, November 12, 2010

Did you remember to remember?



Did you take time to remember?

I spent a lot of time over the past few weeks talking about Remembrance Day and sacrifice with my students. I was a little unprepared for how little they really knew about why we have Remembrance Day and what it all symbolizes but I was overjoyed by their enthusiasm. There was many an instance when they didn't want to stop talking about it, learning more about it, and genuinely connecting to the sacrifice made by so many for our freedoms.

We spent time reading In Flander's Field. We looked at pictures from the 2 world wars, and discussed what people's lives were like then. We created a wreath out of our hand prints with personal messages of  why it is important to take time to remember. On Thursday, November 11th, Remembrance Day we attended our school-wide assembly and my students were completely engaged in the ceremony. They were silent for almost an hour. They soaked it all in. Then we wrote thank you letters to the soldiers.


Here's a little of what my students had to say (I will leave all spelling and grammar as written by the students... it's just cuter that way)...

"I hoped you survived in the 1st and 2nd world war. If the war was forever I would be crying as long as the war gose on. I am super thankful that you soldiers risk your lives for our lives. I hope your train ride wasn't that bumby."


"Dear soldier Thank you for giving freedom to our land. We will try to keep that freedom you have given us. Thank you for leaving your familys Just to bring freedom to our land."


"Hello, my name is **** I am 9 years old. I am writing to you on behalf of all the world to thank you on what you have done for us. You and the army fought for our freedom and succeded."


"Thank you for leaving your family and going to war. I know that if I was going to be a soldier, you would be my role model by saving the world in otherways besides war, thank you. Thank you for not stopping when you were tired or hungry."


"Dear soldier since you sacrificed your self I'll like to tell you how it's going now a days, and it is great and i'm a very safe pearson same as everyone else. So thank you for every thing you did for us."


"I am writing this letter because I want to say thank you for sacrificing your live you live to give us peace and freedom, being brave for jumping out of your boat and strigh away fighting and I also want to say thank you because you did something to save other people but not even saving your self."


"My name is **** and I am in grade 4.  I am very appreachiated for what you have done. I feel sorry for you and wish wars never happened. Thank for giving Canada freedom and peace."


...what is there to say after all that?

Each class is my school is working on creating a service learning project based on the interests of the students. I think I am going to look into basing our class' project on learning more about Canadian peacekeepers and maybe even do a letter writing project to send over to the soldiers. I am pretty sure my class would love it.





0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe