Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Time is Running Out

In less than 2 months (hopefully) I will have a baby in my arms (most likely as I am posting to my blog). It's hard to believe that 9 months of wishes and hopes can go by so quickly. I only have 5 weeks left of work, and those will fly by as the holidays approach, report cards go home and parent interviews take place. I will have to start packing up my classroom and saying good bye to new colleagues and friends.

The nursery is already 95% completed.

We had maternity photos taken on the weekend.

I have had two wonderful baby showers and received heaps of fabulous baby gifts.

The parenting advice continues to roll in (however unwanted it is).

... and I find my thoughts straying to who and what my baby will be. My first thoughts are always of who she will look like and be like. I am hoping she inherits my husband curly, red hair. He hopes she will be small like me. I hope she will have his teeth (no need for braces there). He hopes she is a reader like me.

Then I tend to stray over to who she will grow into. I hope she will be someone who fights against injustice. Who stands up for others. Who volunteers because she wants to. I think about the traditions I want to have in our family...buying a gift from the World Vision Gift Catalogue each Christmas in place of receiving a gift ourselves. Donating and volunteering together in a food bank. Travelling to build a school in Africa. Millions of trips to the library to soak up all the knowledge that we can.

The closer we get, the faster I want her to be here. I can't wait to meet her, this baby of mine.

2 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I can't believe how fast this is sneaking up. How exciting! Stay well.

Beth said...

Thanks Diane! I remember way back when and thinking that 9 months was a long time away...but it really isn't!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe