Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Thursday, November 4, 2010

When Life Throws You Lemons....

why does it seem as though the whole lemon tree comes with it?


A friend posted today about a recent rash of bad news (illness, death, sadness) that his family has been dealing with is a short amount of time and it got me wondering. Why do bad things seem to happen in threes (or more) so very often?


My own family had a run in with this very phenomenon a few years ago when I lost 4 family in less than 4 months (2 within 7 days of each other) and it rocked me to my very core. I know I am not the same person I was then. I see the world a little different. I try to balance my family and work a little better. I put more of myself into the things I am passionate about. But something like that never really leaves you.

There are moments still when I catch myself on the verge of tears. Or crying with my fellow family members. We have been able to grow and move on and share many laughs in the wake of that awful time but I don't think any of us are the same people we were before it all happened.

So why does the universe seem to test us in this way? Is it to see how much we can handle before we break? Is it to let us learn just how strong we really are? Is it totally random and meaningless?

I know that I don't have the answers to those questions (and many more) but I do know that trials like these do show you the strength of a family. The strength of love. The importance of hugs and "I love you's". And we often come out the other side knowing ourselves a whole lot better.

Do you think good things happen in a sequence as well? That we just don't notice when a random string of good times pop into our daily routines? I think so. I am fairly sure that just as bad things happen in threes, good things happen in threes, fours, fives....etc. We just don't take the time to celebrate them, notice them, be thankful for them as much as we should. Often, these good things don't bring our lives to a crashing halt the way the bad does, either. The bad forces us to stop and recognize it. The good flows seamlessly into our consciousness.

So to anyone out there struggling through please know that it does indeed get better. Time is the ultimate medicine and as low as you are right now, you will bounce up again. In the meantime, if you need someone to talk to....I am here.

2 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I think we all try to look for bad things happening in threes and good things in threes not so much! I can't tell you three good things that happened in a row to my, although I consider myself very fortunate. However in a (3) month period in the 1980's, I lost a close high school friend, my godmother, and my husband lost his job and was out of work 6 months. It felt like my world was caving in.

Fortunately, our pain is temporary and things do get better, however, sometimes it just takes longer than we'd like.

Good post Beth.

SB said...

very interesting questions, beth. not sure there are any sequences. i always chalk life up to this: it's not fair. it just is....er. does that make sense? hope you're feelign well and that little beth jr. is behaving!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe