Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Getting Out of Dodge

Yesterday was our first road trip out of our general living area. Mom, Dad, Avery and Kahne packed up the SUV and headed north to visit the grandparents. This was Avery's first trip in the car that was longer than 10-15 minutes. It was also our first trip having both the baby and the dog in the car together. We wanted to use this trip as a trial run for next weekend when we are going home to my parent's house for family Christmas (yes, in February) and my sister's wedding shower.

Bundled up and ready to brave the elements.

My husband's parents live about 40 minutes away so this was going to be a pretty good trial. Unfortunately, we hit a tonne of snow on the trip up which made things a little dicey but we made it there safe and sound and had a lovely visit.

Avery was on her best behaviour, no cluster feeding or crying, just a lot of snuggling and cuddling...especially a nice nap with Grandpa.


She did, however, have most of her naps interrupted which led to a very over-tired little girl when we got home last night. We started trying to put her down for a nap around 5:30 after we got home and she had been fed. Four and half hours later after more feedings, cuddles, rocking, singing and walking Avery finally fell asleep for an extended period of time (longer than 10 minutes!). Poor little girl. She had a busy week with an outing everyday and yesterday she reached her limit.

Today has been a much quieter day with lots of naps and cuddles. I had 2 long sleeps last night...and by long I mean 4 hours uninterrupted!! Whoo hoo. And today I am feeling well-rested. Well-rested enough to cleanup the house a little, tackle some laundry and even write a blog post. How's that for a productive mommy?

Today is 5 weeks. Imagine. Five weeks ago today I met the love of my life. There are times when I just can't stop staring at her. She is amazingly beautiful. I have been a mom for 5 weeks. Wow.

The dog, however, not always as excited as I am about the baby and he tries to sneak in an extra snuggle when it's not the best of times. Still, we love him too.


Note to S.B.: I am working on a post about Avery's birth as requested!

1 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

SB said...

Yay! cannot wait to read it. 6 weeks is when I started to feel like I knew a bit about what to expect...happy five week!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe