Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Monday, March 14, 2011

Falling in Love

I knew that I would fall in love with my baby when she was born. How could I not? I did not know that I would fall even more in love with my husband. Why didn't I know that? I should have.

Everyday is an exercise in heart thumping love when I watch him interact with our little girl. He delights in the merest of smiles. He exults in her every gurgle and coo. He loves her even more than he loves me and it makes me love him even more than I did before.

Right now he is upstairs putting our little girl to bed. We have developed a routine where he feeds her and bathes her and puts her to bed in the evenings since I see her all day long. Not only does it give me a little break, but he gives him time to spend just with her. Sometimes everything goes smoothly and she drifts off to sleep basked in her father's love and adoration. Other nights it takes a little longer and both dad and baby are a little frustrated before sleep is achieved. But he does it.

And I try not to go upstairs and butt in...because let's face it, I am a control freak. If there was ever any doubt of this fact before it as all been erased now that I have a child and I obsess over every little things that goes wrong... and right!

The thing that I love best about my husband's new role as a father is that he is willing to do things he never would have before. He had never changed a diaper before Avery was born, but he dove right in there are changed the very first one in the hospital. He is even getting better with the poopy ones. We had a small incident on Saturday morning where he called me in to help because he couldn't handle the smell...but after some light teasing, he changed a similar stinky one on Sunday all by himself (with minimal gagging!).

As I sit here he is upstairs reading our little girl a story. My husband is not a reader. In fact, I am not sure I have ever seen him pick up a book voluntarily. However, he will do it for our little girl. Listening to a grown man read a story book might be the sweetest thing in the world.

The past nine weeks have been an education in love. Love for my baby daughter and an even deeper love for my husband.

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe