Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Expanding the List

Lately I have been on the hunt for new blogs to read and follow. I have really been interested in looking for crafting blogs and new perspectives on things. I think I have gravitated more to blog reading these days because it's quick and easy. I can read a blog in between diaper changes and bottle feeding. I can read a blog while holding a baby in one hand. I am quite the multi-tasker, eh.


In order to find some new blogs today I am going to link up to Wandering Wednesdays over at Paisley Passions.


This is my first time participating in this blog hop (or any blog hop in awhile). I am really excited to see what I find, and to see who finds me!


In regards to my other reading, novels and the like, I have been doing pretty well even with a baby in tow. All those naysayers who told me while I was pregnant that I would never read again once the baby came...duh duh duuuuh!! were obviously wrong.  I may have slowed down a little, seeing as I do not have full entire days to read, but I am still reading and can honestly say I haven't really even felt like I have lost that much time that I would usually devote to reading. Now that I am not working I don't have any lessons to plan, or assignments to mark so really I just replaced those activities with the baby and my reading time seems to have stayed relatively in tact. What will happen in the fall when I return to work is anybody's guess.


In the last few weeks I have completed a few really good books...so good in fact I am feeling a little in lurch as to what to read next. The first book was The Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay. This book was actually a bargain buy at Chapters that I just happened to pick up and LOVED! Of course. I love anything that is historical fiction so this was right up my alley. I found myself mesmerized by the story of Nina Revskaya, a Russian ballerina who has decided to auction off all the jewelry that she collected over the course of her illustrious career. Nina began her career as a ballerina in Russia under the Stalin regime and thus the story's setting is one of intrigue, hardship and fear. The story alternates between Nina's present day life in Boston and flashbacks to her life in Russia. We are also introduced to Grigori Solodin, a professor of Russian literature whose own background is a mystery. He knows he was born in Russia before his adoption and he owns a piece of jewelry that matches some of those that Nina is auctioning off. The interplay between these characters and the historical setting made this one a fantastic page turner!


Secondly, I recently finished reading Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig. Loved. Loved. LOVED. IT. I am a huge fan of Gone With the Wind and this book has been on my TBR list for a while...I even started it awhile back but didn't get past the first few pages. The thing I liked best about this book is that Rhett was my favourite character from GWTW and I was never a huge Scarlett fan so..... this book was perfect for me. It tells the back story of Rhett and what happened in his childhood to make him the man that he eventually becomes, it also paints a very realistic picture of Scarlett (who, to be honest, was a pretty awful person for most of the book). I highly recommend this for anyone who is a Gone With the Wind fan.


Lastly, I am currently reading Harry, A History by Melissa Anelli. This is an inside look at the phenomenon of Harry Potter from the woman who runs The Leaky Cauldron which was the pre-eminent source for all new Potter during the hype surrounding the publishing of the books. I am a huge Harry Potter fan and have read through the entire series multiple, MULTIPLE, times. I am currently trying to decide if it's too early to start reading them aloud to Avery. She's 12 weeks old. :) I have wanted to read this book for quite awhile as well. Although, I am a huge Potter fan I never followed all the hype or have ever visited The Leaky Cauldron but was drawn to learn more about the phenomenon. I am finding the book wildly fascinating and have been reading every chance I get. I am looking forward to visiting some of the websites mentioned in the book and learn more about the Potter fandom after the fact!


After that...who knows? Any suggestions for what I should read next? 

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe