Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Friday, May 20, 2011

The List to End All Lists

I have been obsessed lately with finding the best pictures books, well all books, so that Avery will have an unbelievable home library as she grows. I know that there are many parents and teachers out there reading this blog and I am hoping to get your help! I want to create a "must read" list of books for my little girl.

Here are a few of my faves...

Picture Books


The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Suess
Red Fish, Blue Fish, One Fish, Two Fish by Dr. Suess
You Are My I Love You by Maryann Cusimano
Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney

Ages 8-9+
The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
A Cricket in Times Square by George Selden
Fudge-a-mania by Judy Blume
The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary
BFG by Raoul Dahl
The Witches by Raoul Dahl
Matilda by Raoul Dahl
James and the Giant Peach by Raoul Dahl
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O'Brien


Ages 12+
The Outsiders by SE Hinton
The Hobbitt by JRR Tolkien
Anne of Green Gables series by LM Montgomery
The Lightening Thief series by Rick Riordan
The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

I am sure there are tonnes of others....and I'll keep adding to the list as we go!

I am going to keep this list up permanently over at my teaching blog, Thinking of Teaching, under a page of the same name- The List to End All Lists. 

3 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Brian DeWagner said...

Picture books...

Oliver Jeffers titles.

Mo Willems titles.

That's all I have to say about that.

SB said...

Pinkalicious is awesome...
so is baby boss...I will get back to you about others...

Oh and Someday...

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

My kids both loved Knuffle Bunny. And the "Winnie the Witch" series illustrated by Korky Paul out of the UK is fabulous too. They are so funny and witty and well written and the illustrations are just marvelous! Thanks so much for visiting me! Have a wonderful long weekend! Angie xo

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe