Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Monday, May 30, 2011

To e-read or not to e-read? That is the question.

I have been tossing around the idea of getting an e-reader forever! I read very fast so whenever I go on a trip or even away for the weekend I usually have to take a couple (or more) books with me so the idea of just taking a e-reader with me is very intriguing. Especially since often the e-books are cheaper than the real thing.

On the other hand I LOVE books. I love the smell. I love the feel. I love how they look on my shelf. I just LOVE books. If I had an e-reader would I feel as though I needed to buy the book twice? One for the e-reader and once to put on my shelf? And what about sharing...can you share e-books?

I also like the idea of saving paper by reading from an e-reader....but am I just then wasting electricity?

So many questions and so few answers.

My sister has lent me her e-reader  as she now has an Ipad and uses that to e-read. I am going to read with it for a bit and then get back to you with my thoughts...good and bad!

Do you e-read?? Tell me, tell me, tell me- do - I would love to know some other people's thoughts.

3 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Heather said...

I personally use my iPad for eading ebooks but it isn't good for bright light/outside. My husband has a Kindle and iPad so he switches back and forth depending on the situation (and sometimes he even reads from the iPhone). It's really cool that the kindle app and the kindle stay in sync with each other so it's like your bookmark moves back and forth. There are a lot of professional books available in Kindle version. Just browse around on Amazon and you can get an idea what is available. I can tell you they are great for avid readers on a trip. When my husband and I went to Australia he loaded up about 25 new books so he wouldn't run out of reading material. He certainly couldn't have carried around 25 books.

As for the electricity question. They have a very low energy draw. If you have wifi off it will last a couple of weeks without being charged even with regular use. Once it loads the magnetic ink the job is done.

I have not provided any e-readers for my students but several have their own and I let them use them in class. Kindle seems to be the most popular but they also have some iPads. None of my students had nooks.

Good luck in your quest to decide.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I do both. I love my Kindle, but also love my books. Hands free reading is awesome though!

Brian said...

Tried it...had a million positives, and one giant negative. There was no book. I didn't stick with it, but I get it...I get the people that dig it.

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe