Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Saturday, June 4, 2011

The E-reading Decision- Part 1

Part 1: My Experience with the Kobo from Chapters (Canada)


So I have been still thinking, ruminating, noodling with the idea of an ereader. I read through my favourite book- Anne of Green Gables on my sister's Kobo (from Chapters here in Canada)  and really enjoyed the experience. I am a very fast reader, hence I often read very large books...we're talking 500+ pages on a consistent basis. That kind of book can get very heavy to read in bed which I do almost every might before I fall asleep. The ereader is nice a light, easy to hold while reclining and as long as you have a good bedside lamp relatively easy to read from. I did find that I had to stay lying on my side facing the light, or lying on my back. If I turned over and faced away from the light the Kobo was more difficult to read from which does not happen with a book.

Pros: light and easy to hold while reading in bed especially compared to the chunksters I usually read (500+pages)

Cons: need to face a light source (this could be solved I am sure with the book light accessories available for Kobo)

I also really like that, for the most part, the selection of books available for the Kobo is just as good as books available in the Chapters store or from Chapters.ca. I looked up a few of the books on my personal TBR list: World Without End by Ken Follett- check, The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry- check, Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger- check. There was also some selection of professional reading books available for the Kobo including a those that are on my professional TBR list for this summer, but not all. The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller- check, Stones into Schools by Greg Mortenson- check. I am not too disappointed about the lack of professional reading available because I think I would prefer to have the actual book itself if I were going to be using it in my classroom.

Pros:  Great personal book selection

Cons: not a lot of professional titles available (however, I did notice on my last visit to Stenhouse Publishing that they offer quite a few of their titles in e-book format and the Kobo uses e-pub which I believe supports a very wide variety of e-book formats so I may be able to get professional books from other sources, not just Chapters)

One huge draw to getting an ereader is that many libraries now offer ebooks for patrons to check out! Who knew? I love the world we live in. I looked into this at my local library and they do offer the service. It's super simple as well- you go online, check out the book and it "arrives" on your ereader. You don't need to "return" the book when you are finished, it simply expires from your ereader device. How cool is that? Now, if you are in the habit of reading new releases there may be a long wait time to get your hands on one of the library's copy of the book you want but this problem also occurs if you want to read new releases in print form from the library as well. If there is a new release I want to read badly enough I never wait for the 50+ people on the waiting list ahead of me I just buy it anyway, so they fact that there is a similar issue for new release ebooks doesn't really seem like a hug drawback to me.


Pros: ability to check out "free" books from the library

Cons: having to wait for new releases if there is a long waiting list and you don't want to buy it

So there are my thoughts so far on my week's worth of experience using the Kobo and starting to look into ereaders. I am going to post again soon about my research into the various ereaders available and which I think is right for me.

0 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe