Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Took the words right out of my mouth...

Today I read a blog post by a good friend of mine, SB. It was like she reached into my head and could see my thoughts...head on over here if you want to check it out.

I will be the first to admit that I am not the most easygoing person. I like to have my plans made in advance. I like to know how things are going to work. I get very nervous when I do things for the first time. I don't like doing things wrong. Mix all this together and you get a stressed out new mom.

When I was pregnant with Avery the book The Baby Whisperer was recommended to me because my cousin had had so much success with it. To be perfectly honest, I felt that I had to use the book otherwise too many comparisons would be made and that without it I wouldn't be seen as good a mom as my cousin.

I like that the author attempts to give practical advice and provide a structure for new moms, however she consistently states that unless you are able to follow her outlines you are "accidentally parenting". If this is happening you are basically setting your child up to fail at life...at least that's how it feels when you are reading this book and not finding any success with the methods in it. Mix that with the crazy hormones flying through a new mom and you have a recipe for disaster.

I must admit that the sleep strategies outlined in the book have been successful for us. The Shush-Pat and the Pick Up-Put Down have consistently worked. That being said, I also have an "angel baby" who rarely (and I mean rarely) cries...so who really knows if it's the book or just Avery? The E.A.S.Y routine for the day has just started working for us but Avery still eats every 3 hours so again I am doing that part wrong.

Le sigh.

After reading SB's post I felt much better knowing that I am not the only mom out there who isn't a "baby whisperer". Isn't it nice to know you aren't alone? It's especially nice because here I am 7 months in and I will still crack open the book at times, attempt something and then stress out when it doesn't work. Meanwhile, I am have been caring for my baby for 7 months and it's all worked out so far.

In other news.....my husband takes over baby duty in 4 weeks and I go back to work. I will have even less control than I do over Avery's schedule because let's be honest, she controls her schedule! I do feel like we have reached a place where things are working well and I am getting much better at going with the flow of things. But every once in awhile I start to lose my mind again....it's just sad really.

1 Thinks and Thoughts of Others:

SB said...

one of my friends read your blog and LOVED it! great great entry! well said and so very true. Do you suppose all moms are so interested in doing it all so perfectly, or is it just our nature? I too like guidelines, rules, order, knowing the outcome of things and knowing that a day will run in a certain fashion;0-) does that make me boring? keep posting your blog up if you feel it fits the parents page...and add friends of your own if you wish!

Last Words...

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe