I am interested in making things that are healthy, tasty and full of veggies! Avery loves baked goods...bread, crackers, goldfish. If it's carbs, she'll eat it! So I figured that if I could squeeze some vegetables into muffins Avery would love them.
I found a recipe I liked on Canadian Living's website.
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats, (not instant)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking soda (I changed it to 3/4 tsp baking soda)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or ginger (I changed it to 1 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk (I changed it to 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup sour cream)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts, (optional)
1. In large bowl, whisk together flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
2. In separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg, oil and vanilla; pour over dry ingredients. Sprinkle with carrot, and walnuts (if using); stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon into 12 paper-lined or greased muffin cups.
3. Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; let cool completely. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 24 hours or wrap individually in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 weeks.)
Now I think they turned out great...Avery, however...not so much! She ate it right up when they came out of the oven but since then won't touch it! Oh dear. She is teething so that might be part of it, hopefully soon she'll like them...or another recipe I try.